Thursday, February 18, 2010

Eggdrop soup

Day 2 of unemployment. If you didn't know I am freshly out of a job you can read my previous post here. Anyway, someone today told me that I should write a blog about being unemployed, which kinda sounds like a neat idea, except that it would be the most boring read ever —I woke up. Made coffee. Looked for a journalism job in a town where there's only a newspaper (which just laid me off). Didn't find one. Made lunch. Had drinks. Painted my toenails. Watched paint dry which, incidentally, is more fun than reading this blog about being unemployed.  No, I definitely don't need to start a new blog about being jobless. I'll just bitch and moan about it on this blog, which is what I do most of the times anyways, so, there.

Yesterday I received a ton of sympathy messages from both ex-coworkers, friends and complete strangers (yes, I'm talking about you, Pat Butcher!) which made my day. And made me get all teary and sentimental, something that happens on average once a decade. It was kind of weird, getting chocked up because of e-mails and Facebook messages and blog comments. When Tommy saw me in such a state he asked me a question that, I guess, makes sense if you are not dating a psychopath: "Did you cry when they fired you?" I looked at him as if he had lost his mind —not because I was trying to be a snot, but because I was sincererly bewildered by the question. So I anwered with another question: "No. Why? Do people normally cry when they get canned?" To his credit, I have to say that he shrugged and said something along the lines of "not neccesserly", so that I wouldn't feel too crazy or abnormal. 

The truth is, crying didn't cross my mind at all. Yes, I was losing my job. Yes, I was losing my journalism job that I worked pretty hard to get in the first place. Yes, it was stupid and unfair on twelve different levels. But I just sat there, feeling detached from the whole situation —kinda like when you dream  and you can see yourself doing stuff in the dream and you would like to intervene but you really can't. Or you don't want to. And, really, I didn't get teary until yesterday when I received all those support messages. But I guess that's what you get from a person who, as a little girl, locked herself in the bathroom when she got yelled at so that her parents wouldn't see her crying. 

The teariness didn't last long, though. As I always do when I feel a little down, I made soup. Egg drop soup, to be precise, although is definitely a different version from what you get at a Chinese restaurant.
I felt better immediatly. 

EGG DROP SOUP
Serves one jobless, hungry person

3 cups hot broth (I used chicken but you can use vegetable to make it vegetarian)
1/2 teaspoon five spice
1 Asian thin egg noodle nest
A handful frozen green peas
1 egg
Salt and pepper
4 scallions, thinly sliced

This is really easy. Warm up the broth and stir in the five spice to give it a little Asian kick. When the broth is boiling add the noodles and the frozen peas. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes, until noodles are done.
In the mean time, beat the egg and season it with salt and pepper. 
After the 5 minutes have elapsed remove pot from heat, stir in egg, sprinkle with scallions and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I've always loved egg drop soup... looks like I will have to try another one of your recipes, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't already seen it, go purchase a ticket to Up in the Air immediately!!!

    I agree, a blog about being unemployed would sorta be a downer. ;) BUT, since money will be getting tight, you could challenge yourself to make yummy, money-saving dishes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the movie recommendation, I haven't seen it yet, so I'll see if I get Tommy to go with me. And the idea of recipes on the cheap is great too. I never was one to spends lots of money on crazy ingredients, but now I'll have to be even more frugal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about your job, Chiara. I'm hoping you land an even better one. :) Egg drop soup is definitely the perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Faith! I hope so too. I'll keep everyone posted on what is going on with the job situation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails