Friday, February 26, 2010

Spicy tuna melts

I guess the biggest thing that hit me when I lost my job was the fact that one moment I was a writer and the next I wasn't one anymore. See, it wasn't the money or the humiliation —it was more the fact that for over three years I had defined myself by what I was doing, which was basically writing all day, everyday. And then, after a couple of days, it hit me.

I still am a writer.

I write this blog. I'm writing a novel. And, soon, I'll be writing for other publications. So I really didn't need my job to define who I am. It may seem obvious to most, but to me it wasn't until I started thinking about the possibilities that lay before me. I can now do and be whatever I want. I can travel. I can work for multiple organizations and publications. I don't have to sit in an office for a pre-set amount of hours each week. I can decide to make my own mayo to make tuna melts for lunch which, so far, is the only thing I've done in my new and improved life. But hey, one has to start somewhere, right?

SPICY TUNA MELTS
Serves 2

2 English muffins, cut in half and toasted
1 can tuna
1/2 cup of mayo
2 tablespoons capers
1/2 onion, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
Salt and pepper
1 tomato, sliced
4 slices of your favorite cheese

Mix tuna, mayo, capers, onion and jalapeno, and season with salt and pepper.
Divide mixture evenly over the four muffin halves, top with a slice of tomato, season with salt and pepper and top with cheese.
Place under the broiler for 3 or 4 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.

4 comments:

  1. You're a GREAT writer, Kika. Never forget it! And these tuna melts look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting that you're writing a novel! One of the reasons I love blogging so much is because of the creative outlet it gives me...very different from my 9-5 job! ;) By the way, the tuna melts look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily: Thanks girl! I won't forget it, I promise!

    Faith: creativity and creative outlets are a saving grace, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ARE a writer. And a damn fine cook, too. These look terrific!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails