Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vegetarian for a month

Everyone knows I love meat. Pork especially in all its forms —from tenderloin to prosciutto— but also beef, especially when it's raw like in carpaccio and steak tartare. Heck, I even like poultry, which most of my family members despise. So to go vegetarian for a month is quite the challenge for me. I have to be careful not to munch on cold cuts when I'm out drinking an aperitivo. I have to remember not to order tartare when I'm out. I have to give up most of my favorite recipes and discover new ones that showcase vegetables and seafood, which is a good thing I guess. And another good thing is that I will have the perfect excuse not to eat the damn Easter lamb this year. I really don't like it, so I'm excited about having a great way to say 'thanks, but no thanks' without offending anyone.

Other than that... it's going to be a long month. I decided to do this for one main reason: to cleanse my system a little bit. It's part of my quest to be healthier this spring, since I kinda overindulged during the winter. But it's hard. Today it's my fourth day without meat and already I'm dreaming of it. I wonder if it will get easier as the days go by. I wonder if I'll like it so much that I'll end up being a full time vegetarian. I doubt it, but who knows?

5 comments:

  1. It is hard! I knew that there was no way that we could go total vegetarian so meat is on the menu only 2-3 times a week, and in reduced amounts at that. Totally agree with the cleansing the system bit - love cheese, salumi and all that stuff, but then I start feeling bogged down. Plus with all the good deals to be had at weekly markets these days...

    Oh yeah, if my husband gets the job in Lugano we may be just a few minutes away from you! I don't believe that we'll actually move there, just across the border (say Como or Valsolda), but it's too soon to tell for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like meat, but I sometimes wonder what it would be like to go vegetarian. I think I could do it, but vegan? Never!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rowena:
    good luck to your husband with his job hunt. I'm looking for a job here as well... much better than looking in Italy!

    Beth,
    I agree. I could never be a vegan... I love eggs and cheese too much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck...I don't know if I could do it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nutmeg Nanny... it's really hard, but it's not impossible. I'm actually getting used to it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails