Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Baked eggs... and a happy new year to everyone!


Happy 2012 everyone! I hope you had a great New Year's Eve and all that. As for me, I was fighting a cold, so it wasn't spectacular, but other than that I can't complain. 2011 was a good year for me. Lots of positive changes came along, and although it wasn't always easy to stay optimisitc and smile, it wasn't too hard either. I've found a job a like and friends I love, traveled to Sweden, Greece, Czech Republic and Germany... so, seriously, what's not to love?
And here I am again, super excited because the day after tomorrow I leave for a nine day vacation in Paris and London. How cool is that? I can't wait.
Of course I hope I'll find plenty of wi-fi connections so I can keep you posted while I'm visiting the cities and eating all that delicious food... but in the mean time, I want to leave you with a recipe I made on New Year's, a simple, no fuss dish that tastes great and is very comforting: baked eggs.


BAKED EGGS
(Adapted from Cooking Light)

Cooking spray
4 (1-ounce) slices French-style country bread, cut into (1/2-inch) cubes
1 thinly sliced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, divided
2 tablespoons water
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
Dill

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) ramekins lightly with cooking spray. Spread bread cubes in an even layer on a baking sheet, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until bread is crisp and lightly browned, stirring after 5 minutes.

Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in 2 tablespoons water, and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Evenly divide onion among prepared ramekins; top with croutons. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper evenly over croutons.

Carefully break 1 egg into each ramekin on top of croutons; drizzle 2 teaspoons milkover each egg. Arrange ramekins in a roasting pan lined with a dish towel (to anchor them in the pan). Pour boiling water halfway up the sides of the ramekins to make a water bath. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the whites are almost set. They should be slightly underdone as they will continue cooking in the hot dishes when you take them from the oven. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.

3 comments:

  1. How adorable are those little ceramic pots? I smile just looking at them! I think we need to bring back the baked egg. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a standard winter breakfast on Sundays around here - except I never have tried with the dill - must amend. I love your ceramic pots! (Note to self: must stop coveting bloggers' possessions!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep yourself healthy by having eggs. Make it a resolution for the new year. I did not like eggs but started having them a few months back. Nice article!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails