Monday, January 30, 2012

Rösti, a Valais specialty

So i just came back from a mini vacation in the Valais canton in Switzerland. I spent three blissful days skiing and hanging out at the thermal baths in Leukerbad, a gorgeous alpine village that looks exactly like a Swiss mountain village should look. More about that in my next post, which will be all about Leukerbad.

I'm working the closing shift at the paper tonight, so I don't have much time to dwell on my vacation right now. Still, I want to give you a little taste of the cuisine in Valais. Rösti is one of their signature dishes, something that is very similar to hash brow potatoes, but is served for lunch or dinner with many different toppings that range from pancetta to mushrooms and from ham to tomatoes. My favorite rendition is a simple one: potatoes, ham, fried egg and a little cheese. Heaven on a plate, I tell you.

Makes 1:

1/2 pound of potatoes, boiled in their skins the day before


2 to 3 tablespoons of butter

1/2 medium onion

salt to taste

Raclette (or other salty) cheese

Sliced ham

1 fried egg
Peel the cooked potatoes and grate them through a coarse grater. Slice the onions into thin wedges.

Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan and add the onions and cook them until they look glassy and transparent. Add the grated potatoes and the salt and stir through. Fry while stirring them around in the pan for about 3 to 5 minutes. Press together to form a flat cake and fry over medium heat until there is a golden crust on the bottom.

Place a serving platter on the pan and turn the pan upside down, so the Roesti falls on the platter with the crust on top.

Top with grated cheese, ham and fried egg. Stick under the broiler for 30 seconds and serve.





9 comments:

  1. I've had rosi on my list of things to make for a while now -- thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect hearty dish to have in a cold day in the Swiss (or Lebanese) mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rosti, in spite of the calories (not that I care very much)
    Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Roesti, even I might argue that it is not just a Valais Specialty, especially coming from Zurich, and I think there are a couple of Bernese that might not be happy, but who cares about the ...... no, no, serious, I love your blog and the Roesti looks absolutely yummy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails